When it comes to choosing a domain name for your business, you will find that the ones you want are already registered. Especially .com domain names. Unless you have deep pockets to buy premium domain names from domain aftermarket (like from Sedo, Afternic, Dan, etc.).
Have you ever wondered how Domain Names of Top Indian Brands has been chosen by their business owners?
We made a list of top 100 brand names in India from different online sources and analyzed their domain names. We found:
- Most of them are using .Com domain names
- Many of the domain names do not have any keyword related to their business
- They are easy to pronounce, easy to remember and easy to type
- Most of them are short (maximum 9 – 10 characters) and do not have any numbers or hyphens
- Most of these domain names are artificially created, i.e. they do not have any meaning
Here is a small selection of domain names belonging to top Indian brands that fit this pattern:
- Infosys.com [ET500 Rank 22]
- Airtel.com [ET500 Rank 21]
- Wipro.com[ET500 Rank 30]
- Zomato.com [ET500 Rank NIL]
- Amul.com [ET500 Rank NIL]
- Indusind.com [ET500 Rank 65]
- Flipkart.com [ET500 Rank NIL]
- Paytm.com [ET500 Rank NIL]
- Swiggy.com [ET500 Rank NIL]
- Mphasis.com [ET500 Rank 193]
- Havells.com [ET500 Rank 157]
- Nerolac.com [ET500 Rank 262]
- Pidilite.com [ET500 Rank 210]
- Spicejet.com [ET500 Rank 167]
- Mindtree.com [ET500 Rank 215]
We are using The Time of India’s Brand Equity’s report on Most Trusted Brands 2020″ for analyzing domain names registered by India’s top brand names. The list can be viewed here.
Another point to note is that all these businesses have the domain name as their brand name or brand name as their domain name. Whatever way you would like to look at it. It makes sense to have the domain name and the brand name the same. Helps in branding and helps in brand recall in the street or on the internet browser.
It is true that many businesses do not have domain names that they badly need (and are available in domain aftermarket at exorbitant prices) but it also does not mean that it is the end of the road. With a little bit of creativity, you can find names that will complement your business. But, you need to keep in mind the 5 points that have been mentioned at the beginning of this blog post.
You can use GoDaddy or Sanver or Google to hand register your domain name. You may like to use our Domain Consulting Services to find the right .com domain name for your business at just $999 per domain name*. Domain Name pays you across the life of your business. A bad name just does the reverse thing.